Thursday, January 7, 2016

Chicken Soup Made of Scraps

It's cold outside. My favorite comfort food is soup. Instead of spending money at the restaurants, I decided to make my own chicken soup. After learning from Ziad at Eatwell Bakery Cafe , I want to try his "nothing but chicken" recipe. Well, I had to clean up my refrigerator last night. I added some other stuff.

I striped this chicken to bones only. I used other parts for entree.
Ingredients:
1 Chicken back and bones from breast part. Don't remove skin. That's for flavoring.
2 Carrots, medium size
1 Celery, stalk
1 Cucumber (I hate to waste a freeze-burnt veggie.)
1/2 Onion
1 piece American Ginseng (optional)
1-3 tbsp Salt, after the soup is done

Procedure:

  1. Put everything in the pot and fill with water to cover the ingredients.
  2. Set Midea Electrical Pressure Cooker to SOUP setting for 33 minutes.
  3. Follow instruction to start the process.
  4. When done, release pressure and discard all vegetable solids. 
  5. Remove soup and meat from the pot, season with 1 tbsp salt to taste.


Fresh chicken is on sale 58¢ per pound at H-E-B on Beechnut. Time to make some good soup at home and save my money for Houston Rodeo next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment